Title: Headwater Stream Initiative Planting Coordinator
Location: Warrenton, Virginia
Geographic Focus: Counties of Fauquier, Clarke, Loudoun, Rappahannock, Orange, Culpeper, Madison, and Greene
Manager: Rappahannock-Rapidan Conservation Initiative Coordinator
Job Classification: Seasonal, Part-time, Non-exempt
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature (Learn more about PEC).
PEC is accelerating water quality improvements by enhancing and restoring riparian and freshwater habitats on agricultural land in the upper Rappahannock and Potomac river watersheds through the Headwater Stream Initiative. The Headwater Stream Initiative (HSI) is an effort to provide free technical assistance, project design, materials (trees, stakes, tubes), and labor for planting native trees and shrubs along waterways.
PEC is seeking to hire a Planting Coordinator to organize and support tree planting projects. This is an entry level, seasonal, part-time position that is grant-funded for two years. PEC anticipates this position will work between 300 – 450 hours per year.
This position requires a 2022 spring and fall commitment. This timing mirrors ideal planting seasons and PEC anticipates the position to be active late February through April and September through early November. As such, there will be a summer break from May to August.
The position is based out of PEC’s headquarters in Warrenton, Virginia. However, the majority of time will be spent in the field at planting locations.
Role and responsibilities:
This position will be responsible for organizing and facilitating tree planting projects in coordination with PEC staff and partner organizations. In general, the successful candidate will:
- Have experience planting bare-root trees
- Communicate with the landowner about appropriate site preparation (mowing, herbicide application, etc.)
- Coordinate the planting days with contractors and/or volunteers
- Using a provided vehicle, haul the PEC trailer and planting materials/tools to the planting site
- Be present for the entire planting day and act as PEC lead
- Instruct volunteers on correct tree planting techniques
- Complete quality control walk-throughs following plantings
- Assist landowners with tree maintenance questions and concerns
- Experience and comfort driving an automatic pick-up truck and towing a trailer. No CDL license or experience is required.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to work outside and in inclement weather conditions.
- Early mornings, late afternoons, evenings and weekend work anticipated. We strive to schedule tree plantings in advance, however it is not always possible.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Familiarity with basic technology and computer skills (email, video conferencing, shared drives).
Hourly position. $20.00/hour. No benefits included other than employer paying FICA and Medicare taxes.
Interested applicants should email a resume to email@example.com. A cover letter is optional. Deadline to apply is January 31, 2021. Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women and persons of color are encouraged.