- Nature Of Work
- Do you want to apply your expertise for a cause you can feel good about? Do you want to work for an organization that wants you to grow with it and offers tuition reimbursement, certification training, and a chance to learn about multiple industries? Come work for the Town of Leesburg, hometown of the 21st century! Located 35 miles west of the nation’s capital in the heart of DC’s Wine Country, you’ll enjoy a vibrant and authentic community with “big city” amenities. The Town of Leesburg strongly encourages innovation, promotes career development, and offers excellent benefits to employees. Benefits include membership to the Town’s full-service recreation center, enrollment into the Virginia Retirement System, excellent healthcare insurance, and other fringe benefits.
Who We’re Looking For
If you identify with the following descriptions, then you may be perfect for the Town of Leesburg:
- Creative problem solver
- Proactive self-starter
- Life-long learner
- Strong team player
- Passionate about excellent customer service
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Effective communicator
- Desire to impart knowledge to others
- “Early adopter” of new technologies
What You’ll Be Doing
This is highly technical, skilled work performing and overseeing maintenance, repair or improvements to the water/wastewater system for the Department of Utilities. Work involves the operation of complex, moderate to heavy construction equipment including hydro-excavating equipment. Work involves responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and utilization of the various machines in accordance with the manufacturer’s design and safety standards. Worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold and heat, noise vibration and working in hazardous conditions, such as confined space, ditches and traffic areas.
For a more detailed job description, please visit the Town’s Job Descriptions page.
What You’ll Discover
The Town’s Department of Utilities is a hard working team of friendly professionals who strive together to exceed excellence. Come join our team!
- Required Qualifications
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in the installation, maintenance or repair of water/wastewater systems; including a minimum of two (2) years of progressive experience as crew leader or equivalent.
- Experience operating all types of utility maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge in MS Suite applications, Asset Management Program and computer program applications appropriate to the position.
- Possession of a Class (B) Commercial Driver’s License with the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment a Class (A) CDL with Tanker Endorsement; and a safe driving record.
- VDOT Basic Work Zone Flagging Certification; CPR-First Aid Certification or the ability to obtain within 12 months of employment.
- Ability to assist with emergencies repairs on an “on-call” basis; and training/ability to work in confined spaces.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Minimum of seven (7) plus years of utility system repairs including three (3) to four (4) of laying pipe and/or trenchless utility installation, but not limited to sewer and water service installations.
- Knowledge in Standard Construction OSHA 10 or 30, including certification.
- Trench Safety Certification; Forklift Certification; Confined Space Certification; Gas Monitor Certification.
- Supervisor training and/or leadership experience, including assisting in performance evaluations.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
- Compensation and Benefits
The Town of Leesburg is committed to providing competitive compensation and benefits, and opportunities to grow one’s career, all while making a significant impact on the operations and quality of life in a thriving community.
The Town offers competitive compensation, affordable health insurance coverage, participation in the Virginia Retirement System, an optional 457(b) retirement plan with a Town matching contribution, flexible spending accounts, voluntary benefits, employee assistance program (EAP), membership to the Town’s full-service recreation center, an optional payroll Roth IRA, and generous paid time off. For more information on the Town’s robust benefits package, please visit the Town’s Employee Benefits page.
- Town of Leesburg
25 W. Market St.
Leesburg, Virginia, 20176