Title: HR & Payroll Specialist
Manager: HR Director
Location: Warrenton, VA
Job Classification: Full Time Non-Exempt
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks.
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is seeking to hire an HR & Payroll Specialist to work in our headquarters office in Warrenton, VA. This individual will provide basic support to the HR Department in day-to-day functions including timesheet proofing and payroll processing, assisting new staff in benefit enrollments, personnel record filing and various tracking and reporting functions. PEC has a staff of 50 employees and a broad offering of benefits.
Areas of Responsibility
- Proof biweekly timesheet entries for completeness in coding and process payroll.
- Upload journal entries for payroll to the General Ledger and prepare monthly fringe benefit allocation journal entry.
- Update payroll for any changes in employee deductions and create new employee records in payroll.
- Maintain all personnel files.
- Prepare bank reconciliations and key recurring charges related to automatic payments.
- Assist employees during the annual open enrollment process for benefits.
- Transmit electronic payments and data on HSA and FSA accounts.
- Review benefit insurance bills monthly for accuracy.
- Prepare reports as needed
- Interact with all PEC staff on HR and benefits matters and occasional interaction with members of the Board and donors
- Experience processing payroll through an automated system
- Experience with and a basic understanding of employee benefits
- Excellent Excel skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently after initial instruction
- Ability to learn the GL chart of accounts and a complex list of cost centers and assign expenses in an accurate manner
- Ability to prioritize among competing demands (with direction)
- Ability to lift light objects in an office setting (such as a carton of paper)
- Associates Degree preferred but significant experience can be substituted for some education
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online or similar financial software preferred
- Experience in a nonprofit setting preferred
Salary range is $25.00 to $30.00 per hour (the equivalent of $52,000 to $62,400 annually), commensurate with experience.
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (89.75% employer paid premium for employee only on high-deductible plan, 85% employer paid for added dependents on high-deductible plan)
- Dental and Vision insurance plans
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave – 24 days per year, accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness (including maternity and paternity) – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.
Reasonable ADA accommodations will be made upon request.