Manager: Director of Finance
Location: Warrenton, VA
Job Classification: Full Time Non-Exempt
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks.
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is seeking to hire a Bookkeeper to work in our headquarters office in Warrenton, VA. This individual will provide basic support to the Finance Department in day-to-day functions including data entry and provide analytical support for various tracking and reporting functions. PEC has a complex accounting system with over 100 cost centers, two companies and dozens of grants of various sizes and multiple donations with various restrictions.
Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare all cash/check deposits and key all deposit detail into the General Ledger (GL), including online donations
- Prepare and input recurring journal entries, as assigned, into the GL on a monthly basis,
- Reconcile YTD donations between the GL and our CRM systems databases on a monthly basis
- Key all AP invoices into the GL and run AP checks
- Request Certificates of Insurance as needed
- Assist with all Finance staff in the annual audit process by gathering items for the auditors
- Review all staff credit card reconciliations and key into the GL
- Do AP, deposit and journal entry filing as necessary
- Prepare other analytical reports, as requested
- Electronic preparation on annual 1099’s via QuickBooks
- Interact with all PEC staff and public on financial matters and occasional interaction with members of the Board and donors
- Excellent Excel skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid understanding of accounting principles
- Ability to work independently after initial instruction
- Ability to learn the chart of accounts and a complex list of cost centers and assign revenue and expenses in an accurate manner
- Ability to prioritize among competing demands (with direction)
- Experience with automated accounting and CRM systems preferred
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds on occasion
- Associates Degree preferred but significant experience can be substituted for some education
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online or similar financial software preferred
- Experience in a nonprofit setting preferred
Salary range is $22.00 to $27.50 per hour (the equivalent of $45,760 to $57,200 annually), commensurate with experience.
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (89.75% employer paid premium for employee only on high-deductible plan, 85% employer paid for added dependents on high-deductible plan)
- Dental and Vision insurance plans
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting
- from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave – 24 days per year, accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness (including maternity and paternity) – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.
Reasonable ADA accommodations will be made upon request.