Title: Human Resources and Training Director
Location: Warrenton, VA
Job Classification: Part Time or Full Time Exempt*
*(Open to discussions on classification of this position depending on qualifications and the final allocation of duties among HR staff as we re-structure our HR functions. We estimate this position will take at least 25 hours per week and, therefore, be part-time, but could be 30 or more hours per week and, therefore, full-time).
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks.
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is seeking to hire a Human Resources and Training Director to work in our headquarters office in Warrenton, VA. This individual will lead the HR Department on a day-to-day basis and report to the COO. PEC has approximately 50 full-time staff, one regular part-time staff, and periodic interns and seasonal staff working in Virginia, D.C. and Maryland.
Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations
- Oversee annual formal employee evaluation process
- Oversee and coordinate the annual benefit renewal and open enrollment processes and work with our benefits insurance broker to seek out competitive rates and programs
- Oversee the 403b retirement plan and required reporting
- Coordinate onboarding of all new staff and develop a training plan for each staff member to enhance their skills in their work field
- Train managers on management techniques, staff development and disciplinary techniques
- Oversee payroll processing, including the maintenance of timesheets, and review and approve bi-weekly payroll
- Participate in Management Team meetings
- Oversee the maintenance of all personnel files
- Oversee job application, interviewing and hiring processes
- Maintain the compensation schedule for all PEC positions and review and update as necessary based on the market and applicable salary and benefit surveys
- Assist in the development of all position descriptions and job classifications
- Maintaining accrued leave balances and adjusting year end leave carry overs
- Enforcing all PEC employment policies
- Acting as the investigator of any harassment or discrimination and whistleblower complaints and arbitrating among employees with conflicts
- Supervise one staff member, the Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
- Assist with the Employee Recognition Committee
- Working with PEC’s legal counsel and COO on any potential employment actions and policy updates
- Maintain the Employee Handbook
- Work with the COO and the Director of Finance in developing the annual budget
- Working with PEC’s independent auditors in relation to payroll and HR matters
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Management or related field
- At least 10 years’ experience in the human resource field with at least 3 years of supervisory experience in HR in an organization of a similar size or larger to PEC
- Proven experience in establishing and maintaining comprehensive employee benefit programs
- Thorough knowledge of employee benefit plans and retirement plans
- Proven experience processing payroll and thorough knowledge of payroll laws and regulations across multiple governmental districts
- Proven experience allocating employee work hours to a large number of cost centers
- Experience in interviewing and hiring staff
- Experience in conflict resolution
- Commitment to diversity, equity, justice and inclusion in all hiring and employment practices
- Commitment to high ethical standards and integrity
- Excellent Excel skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to prioritize among competing demands
- Experience in a nonprofit setting preferred
Salary range is based on establish weekly work hours.
- At 25 hours per week, the position would be considered part time with a salary range would be $47,000 to $59,500 per year with retirement benefits only
- At 30 hours per week, the position would be considered full time with a salary range of $56,250 to $71,250 per year with full benefits
Benefits (full time only)
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (89.75% employer paid premium for employee only on high-deductible plan, 85% employer paid for added dependents on high-deductible plan)
- Dental and Vision insurance plans
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave – 24 days per year, accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness (including maternity and paternity) – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.
Reasonable ADA accommodations will be made upon request.